Thursday, October 2, 2008

what DO I do?

The other night we had a dinner. At this dinner the, "what do you do?" topic inevitably came up, and since it's hollywood, is almost always followed with, "what do you want to do?"

What do I do? I work for commerical production companies. Doing what? Graphic design. What do I want to do? Children's books and comics. Maybe a TV show or feature here and there (hey, it's Hollywood).

What struck me just now is that I'm not sure when the "do's" got reversed. I used to be an illustrator, now I'm a graphic designer.

I know it pays the bills and all (and there are plenty), but its odd when you realize, without knowing it, things have changed.

I wish I had the ability to creatively multit-task. I can multi-task, but switching gears from work-designer mode to write/illustrate mode on most days is just too much to ask for. After hours of sitting at the computer you just want to get up and leave.

1 comment:

[ im'mature ] said...

I started following your blog during the illustrator days, when you posted new works with alarming regularity and obvious excitement.

It's a bit harder to take on personal projects with full-time work, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are people who believe in the stuff that you really want to do - don't ever lose sight. :o)