Friday, September 5, 2008

deep storm, by lincoln child

Originally purchased to be a beach read, this became a rain read thanks to Fay.

Borrowing heavily from The Abyss, The Andromeda Strain and Sphere, Child takes all these good ingredients and makes something new. It was (for Boy and I) a quick read, even at 432 pages. Some surprises are predictable, while others cleverly turn the plot onto a different course. You will, at times, roll your eyes, but a lot can be forgiven when it comes to mass market paperback techno-thrillers that want to be a little grander that reality would probably let them.

If you're one of those people who measures a book's success by the desire to read more works by the author, then be aware that Riptide is on my desk, and I'm considering getting Still Life of Crows.

Both of those books were co-written with Douglas Preston. The first book of theirs I read was The Cabinet of Curiosities over 5 years ago, which I greatly enjoyed. The duo also wrote Relic, which we all know was a bleh film, but I haven't read the book. In regards to the film their site's FAQ says, "We really had no involvement in the project at all, and our input wasn't solicited. Contractually, we can't say anything negative about it."

2 comments:

CassieCutthroat said...

Hmmm, I'll have to check it out.

Almost every horror/mystery novel I've read had a few iffy moments.

Ever read anything by Jack Ketchum?
I read Offspring and wanted to cry myself to sleep. Scared me shitless.

Kyle, Kyle, Kyle. Don't hit me... but, I have a question regarding a couple of your paintings and [I am probably just stupid] but, I can't find a way to contact you on the website. Helppp? :D

-Cassie.

Kyle Cummings said...

kyle.cummings@gmail.com should do the trick!